IASOA Steering Committee Meeting

Date: 
Tuesday, April 4, 2017 -
09:00 to 10:00
Agenda: 

DISCUSSION ITEM 1: WHAT WILL THE RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE STEERING COMMITTEE?

DISCUSSION ITEM 2: WHO WILL BE ON THE STEERING COMMITTEE?

Minutes: 

Meeting Summary: April 4, 2017 IASOA Steering Committee

 

Sandy Starkweather, Gijs de Boer, Jim Drummond, Henrik Skov, Timo Vihma (from Prague)

Taneil Uttal Chris Cox and Sara Crepinsek (from Boulder)

Alexander Makshtas (from St Petersburg)

Lauren Candlish (by email)

John Burkhart (by phone after the GOTO meeting)

 

(NOTE: Sara Crepinsek and Chris Cox are not current members of the Steering Committee but are sitting in on meetings)

 

 

DISCUSSION ITEM 1: WHAT WILL THE RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE STEERING COMMITTEE?

 

The following topics identified as topics of interest for the IASOA consortium

 

  • Enlisting and collaborating with other national and International networks and consortiums with similar goals and objectives
  • Providing an integrated response to international initiatives such as YOPP
  • Supporting early career scientists
  • Coordination of the scientific endeavors and outcomes of the IASOA Working Groups
  • Developing Strategies to maintain and promote the data portal and the IASOA website
  • Operational increases and declines in capacity at the stations – for instance, increasing observations at Cape Baranova and decreased operations at Summit Greenland

 

The committee conversation veered somewhat from topic identification to specific urgent issues of the YOPP response and future of Summit operations. 

 

ACTION ITEM 1: Arrange to have the IASOA YOPP response discussed at the next regularly scheduled IASOA WG transports meeting on April 19th pending approval by the co-chairs (Vihma and Haiden)

 

ACTION ITEM 2: Arrange to have a discussion of the future of Summit at the first meeting of the Data and Observations Working Group on April 26th (Burkhart and Starkweather?)

 

DISCUSSION ITEM 2: WHO WILL BE ON THE STEERING COMMITTEE?

The committee discussed the pro and cons of having a small (5-6 individuals) tightly coordinated and directive steering committee versus having a larger committee with a wider purview.  The size of IASOA Steering committee could potentially be as large as 27.

 

2 co-chairs/working group x 6 = 12

Steering committee members who are not currently a working group co-chair = 9

Suggested new committee members = 6

 

Jim Drummond has considerable experience with committee work and suggested that a larger committee would administratively require a chair, a vice chair a secretary and possibly a vice secretary.

 

Henrik Skov noted that it would be useful to have some time for members to carefully consider these commitments and discuss with home ministries and institutions the possibility of funding support.  This will require an estimate of the time investment that will be required for members of the steering committee.

 

ACTION ITEM 3: It was agreed that the current steering committee would reconvene to discussion what may be temporary appointments to these positions after Easter. Here is a link to the doodle poll.  The times are in MD when I look at it.  I assume that the doodle poll will convert automatically to your time zone when you fill it out.

 

Here is a link to the doodle poll

http://doodle.com/poll/87zkdq2hitzzzb6e

 

 

FOR REFERENCE:  THE CURRENT AND PROPOSED MEMBERSHIP LIST IS BELOW

 

Current members are:

Taneil Uttal (Also Flux Working Group Co-Chair)

Sandy Starkweather

John Burkhart (will be joining the new Data and Observations group)

Lauren Candlish (Will be joining the new combined radiation-cloud working group)

Gijs de Boer

James Drummond

Pierre Fogal

Oystein Godoy

Alexander Makshtas (Also Flux Working Group Co-Chair)

Henrik Skov

Brian Vasel

Timo Vihma (Also Transports Working Group Co-Chair

Von Walden (Also Radiation Working Group Co-Chair)

 

If we go with the plan to have co-chairs join the steering committee, additional members would potentially be:

Jessie Creamean (Aerosol Working Group Co-Chair)

Eija Asmi (Aerosol Working Group Co-Chair)

Irina Petropavlovskikh (Trace Gases Working Group Co-Chair)

Sara Crepinsek (Trace Gases Working Group Co-Chair)

Chris Cox (Radiation and Clouds Working Group Co-Chair)

Thomas Haiden (Transports Working Group Co-Chair)

Vacant Position (Data and Observations Group Co-Chair)

Vacant Position (Data and Observations Group Co-Chair)

 

Alexander Makshtas has suggested Vasily Kustov

Taneil Uttal has suggested Gunilla Svenson

Sandy has suggested Michael Tjermstrom

Henrik has suggested Lotte Sorensen

Sandy has suggested a Ny-Alesund SIOS representation (Kim Holmen or Joseph Settler)

John has suggested an ebas representation (someone from NILU? Presumably Markus Feibig)