Dr. Annareli Morales performs research on precipitation over mountains and the physical processes involved with cloud and precipitation development using numerical modeling and observational datasets. Currently, she is developing a science plan based off the Study of Precipitation, the Lower Atmosphere and Surface for Hydrometeorology (SPLASH) 2021-2022 field campaign in the East River watershed in Colorado. The main theme of this research is understanding how well NOAA operational models can represent orographic precipitation and the associated mesoscale and microphysics processes. In addition to physical science research, Annareli is passionate about diversity, inclusion, science communication, and public outreach.
- Mesoscale meteorology
- Mountain meteorology
- Cloud microphysics
- Bilingual science communication
- Ph.D., Atmospheric and Oceanic Science, University of Michigan, 2019
- M.S., Atmospheric Science, Colorado State University, 2014
- B.S., Atmospheric Science, University of Illinois, 2012
- Morales, A., M.J. Molina, J.E. Trujillo-Falcón, and Coauthors, 2022: Hispanic and Latinx Academics and Researchers in the Atmospheric Sciences: The People, the Challenges, and the Future. Bull. Amer. Met. Soc., In review.
- Fox, K. R., B. D. McNoldy, A. Morales, and D. S. Nolan, 2022: Sensitivity of surface rainfall in landfalling Hurricane Florence (2018) to sub-kilometer grid spacing and microphysics parameterizations, J. Atmos. Sci., In Review.
- Villalobos, E., J. Flores, M. Castro, A. Morales, K. Mosquera, W. Lavado, and F. Silva, 2022: Summertime precipitation extremes and the influence of atmospheric flows on the western slopes of the southern Andes of Peru. International Journal of Climatology, In review.
- Morales, A., L. Medina Luna, D. Zietlow, J. LeBeau, and M. Molina, 2022: Testing the Impact of Culturally-Relevant Communication Style on Engagement with Hispanic and Latinx Adults. Journal of Geoscience Education, resubmitted.
- Morales, A., D. J. Posselt, H. Morrison, 2021: Which combinations of environmental conditions and microphysical parameter values produce a similar orographic precipitation distribution? J. Atmos. Sci., 78, 619-638, https://doi.org/10.1175/JAS-D-20-0142.1
- American Meteorological Society
Honors and Awards
- ASP Postdoctoral Fellowship, UCAR/NCAR (2019)
- University of Michigan Richard F. and Eleanor A. Towner Prize for Distinguished Academic Achievement (2018)
- University of Michigan Rackham Predoctoral Fellowship (2018)