Restrictions | Details | Caveats | File Naming | Citation | References | Original Source | Contact
NOAA Extended Reconstructed Sea Surface Temperature (SST) V4
NOAA/NCEI is no longer updating the NOAA ERSST V4 dataset. The last date will be Feb 2020.
- Sea Surface
|Variable||Statistic||Level||Units||Download File||Create Plot/Subset|
|Sea Surface Temperature||Monthly Mean||Surface||degC||sst.mnmean.v4.nc|
|Sea Surface Temperature||Monthly Long Term Mean||Surface||degC||sst.mon.1981-2010.ltm.v4.nc|
|Sea Surface Temperature||Monthly Long Term Mean||Surface||degC||sst.mon.1971-2000.ltm.v4.nc|
The monthly Extended Reconstructed Sea SurfaceTemperature(ERSST)dataset,available onglobal 2x2 grids, has been revised herein to version 4 (v4) from v3b. ERSST v4 revisions are based on ERSST v3b. Major improvements include updated and substantially more complete input data from the ICOADS Release 2.5, revised Empirical Orthogonal Teleconnections (EOTs) and EOT acceptance criterion, updated sea surface temperature (SST) quality control procedures, revised SST anomaly (SSTA) evaluation methods, revised low-frequency data filing in data sparse regions using nearby available observations, updated bias adjustments of ship SSTs using Hadley Nighttime Marine Air Temperature version 2 (HadNMAT2), and buoy SST bias adjustments not previously made in v3b. These revisions and their associated improvements are justified in part by subsampling the observations of the modern period (1960–2012) using historical observation masks from the period 1860–1912.
The monthly analysis extends from January 1854 to the present, but because of sparse data in the early years, there is damping of the analyzed signal before 1880. After 1880, the strength of the signal is more consistent over time. ERSST is suitable for long-term global and basin-wide studies, and smoothed local and short-term variations are used in the dataset.
For more information see https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/data-access/marineocean-data/extended-reconstructed-sea-surface-temperature-ersst-v4.
- The monthly analysis extends from January 1854 to the present, but because of sparse data in the early years, there is damping of the analyzed signal before 1880. After 1880, the strength of the signal is more consistent over time. ERSST is suitable for long-term global and basin-wide studies, and smoothed local and short-term variations are used in the dataset.
- sst.stat[.time].v4.nc (In directory: /Datasets/noaa.ersst/)
OpenDap File Names:
Dataset Format and Size:
- PSL standard NetCDF4 ~54 Mbyte file for the monthly file.
- PSL standard NetCDF4 1 Mbyte file for each long term mean file.
- Land points are flagged with a value of -9.96921e+36.
- Please note: If you acquire NOAA_ERSST_V4 data products from PSL, we ask that you acknowledge us in your use of the data. This may be done by including text such as NOAA_ERSST_V4 data provided by the NOAA/OAR/ESRL PSL, Boulder, Colorado, USA, from their Web site at / in any documents or publications using these data. We would also appreciate receiving a copy of the relevant publications. This will help PSL to justify keeping the NOAA_ERSST_V4 data set freely available online in the future. Thank you!
- Huang, B., V.F. Banzon, E. Freeman, J. Lawrimore, W. Liu, T.C. Peterson, T.M. Smith, P.W. Thorne, S.D. Woodruff, and H.-M. Zhang, 2014: Extended Reconstructed Sea Surface Temperature version 4 (ERSST.v4): Part I. Upgrades and intercomparisons. Journal of Climate, 28, 911-930, doi:10.1175/JCLI-D-14-00006.1
- Liu, W., B. Huang, P.W. Thorne, V.F. Banzon, H.-M. Zhang, E. Freeman, J. Lawrimore, T.C. Peterson, T.M. Smith, and S.D. Woodruff, 2014: Extended Reconstructed Sea Surface Temperature version 4 (ERSST.v4): Part II. Parametric and structural uncertainty estimations. Journal of Climate, 931-951, doi:10.1175/JCLI-D-14-00007.1
- Huang, B., P. Thorne, T. Smith, W. Liu, J. Lawrimore, V. Banzon, H. Zhang, T. Peterson, and M. Menne, 2015: Further Exploring and Quantifying Uncertainties for Extended Reconstructed Sea Surface Temperature (ERSST) Version 4 (v4). Journal of Climate, in press, doi:10.1175/JCLI-D-15-0430.1 (link is external).
- NCEI ERSST V4.
- NOAA NCEI: Boyin Huang. email@example.com
Physical Sciences Laboratory: Data Management
Boulder, CO 80305-3328
- Climate Datasets: By Category
- Climate Indices
- Search Datasets
- 20th Century Reanalysis