Restrictions | Details | Caveats | File Naming | Citation | References | Original Source | Contact
CPC Unified Gauge-Based Analysis of Daily Precipitation over CONUS RT
- CPC .25x.25 Daily US Unified Precipitation gridded and smoothed
- Daily 2007/01/01 to present: measurement accumulated to 12z of the day
- Monthly 1948/01 to present.
- 0.25 - degree latitude x 0.25 - degree longitude US grid (300x120).
- 20.125N-49.875N, 230.125E-304.875E.
|Variable||Statistic||Level||Download File||Create Plot/Subset|
|Precipitation||Daily Total||Surface||See List|
This data set is part of products suite from the CPC Unified Precipitation
Project that are underway at NOAA Climate Prediction Center (CPC). The primary
goal of the project is to create a suite of unified precipitation products with
consistent quantity and improved quality by combining all information sources
available at CPC and by taking advantage of the optimal interpolation (OI)
objective analysis technique.
The gauge analysis here covers the Conteminous United States on a fine-resolution
and is quantitatively consistent with that covering the global land on a coarser
See their CPC's data docs for more details.
Landmask is such that actual data resides between 20N-49.5N (lat grids 1-118) and 233.75E to 292.75 (lon grids 56-292).
Values are for over the continental US. Data is daily from 1948-2006. Values are accumulated from 12z of the day before to 12z of the day. Feb 26 2007 is missing at the source. A land-sea mask is supplied.
- precip.yyyy.nc for daily (In directory: /Datasets/cpc_us_precip/)
- precip.time,statistic.nc for monthly, long term means (In directory: /Datasets/cpc_us_precip/)
OpenDap File Names:
- /thredds/dodsC/Datasets/cpc_us_precip/precip.yyyy.nc for daily
Dataset Format and Size:
- PSL standard NetCDF 37 Mbyte file for each yearly file (packed).
- PSL standard NetCDF 37 Mbyte file for each daily long term mean file (packed).
- PSL standard NetCDF 62 Mbyte file for each monthly file (packed).
- PSL standard NetCDF 1 Mbyte file for each monthly long term mean file (packed).
- No missing data over the CONUS except for Feb 26 2007. There are missing in the sourrounding box (-9.96921e+36).
- Please note: If you acquire CPC US Unified Precipitation data products from PSL, we ask that you acknowledge us in your use of the data. This may be done by including text such as CPC US Unified Precipitation data provided by the NOAA/OAR/ESRL PSL, Boulder, Colorado, USA, from their Web site at / in any documents or publications using these data. We would also appreciate receiving a copy of the relevant publications. This will help PSL to justify keeping the CPC US Unified Precipitation data set freely available online in the future. Thank you!
- (Interpolation algorithm) Xie_et_al_2007_JHM_EAG.pdf Xie, P., A. Yatagai, M. Chen, T. Hayasaka, Y. Fukushima, C. Liu, and S. Yang (2007), A gauge-based analysis of daily precipitation over East Asia, J. Hydrometeorol., 8, 607. 626.
- (Gauge Algorithm Evaluation) Chen_et_al_2008_JGR_Gauge_Algo.pdf Chen, M., W. Shi, P. Xie, V. B. S. Silva, V E. Kousky, R. Wayne Higgins, and J. E. Janowiak (2008), Assessing objective techniques for gauge-based analyses of global daily precipitation, J. Geophys. Res., 113, D04110, doi:10.1029/2007JD009132.
- (Construction of the Daily Gauge Analysis) Chen_et_al_2008_Daily_Gauge_Anal.pdf Chen, M., P. Xie, and Co-authors (2008), CPC Unified Gauge-based Analysis of Global Daily Precipiation, Western Pacific Geophysics Meeting, Cairns, Australia, 29 July - 1 August, 2008.
- NCEP/Climate Prediction Center (Wayne Higgins, Evgeney Yarosh, Wei Shi)
- From CPC's FTP directories.
- CPC's webpage with the latest images is available.
Physical Sciences Laboratory: Data Management
Boulder, CO 80305-3328
- Climate Datasets: By Category
- Climate Indices
- Search Datasets
- 20th Century Reanalysis