Directions for hourly time series generation page
Purpose: Creates 4 (or 8) times daily time series or create a file of dates from a dataset matching a specific criteria. Several gridded datasets are currently available: NCEP/NCAR Reanalysis, the 20th Century Reanalysis (V2c,V3),and the ERA5.
- Select a one Gridded dataset.
- Select a variable and then level for pressure level data.
- Chose a latitude and longitude. Use -90 to 90 and 0 to 360 for longitude.
- Chose year range. This is MANDATORY.
- Choose "get timeseries" or "get subset of dates". For timeseries, you will get 365(366) values and dates per year in a file.
- For subset, you will also need to choose a number of highest or lowest days or a value to test against (values include value, anomaly, standardized anomaly or percentile). Anomalies and percentiles are obtained based on the set of years you choose. You can choose "higher or lower than value compared against. For example, you can choose the top 10 highest 850mb zonal winds in Boulder, CO (40N,255E)for 1974-1975 and get:
- 1975:04:28:00 11.8
- 1974:01:15:00 12.2
- 1975:12:01:00 12.2
- 1975:03:24:00 12.4
- 1975:11:11:00 12.4
- 1975:11:11:00 12.7
- 1975:12:01:00 12.8
- 1974:01:15:00 12.9
- 1975:10:08:00 13.0
- 1975:03:23:00 13.1
- Or, you can get all the Boulder dates >=10m/s by selecting value and 10. Note that ties are not handled so you may not get all possible days returned though all of the returned days will be correct.
- Get values. Daily values output can be used on the daily composite page (https://psl.noaa.gov/data/composites/hour/.
Comments: NCEP data is updated 2 days behind current day.