FEWS NET: Historic ENSO-Related Climate Impacts
- Dataset Used:
- Climate Research Unit (CRU) v4.07 TS 4.07 gridded temperature and precipitation. (publication: Harris, I., Osborn, T.J., Jones, P. et al. Version 4 of the CRU TS monthly high-resolution gridded multivariate climate dataset. Sci Data 7, 109 (2020). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41597-020-0453-3
- ENSO Definition (events since 1950): NOAA Climate Prediction Center Oceanic Nino Index (ONI)
- Frequency of above- (>66th percentile) and below- (<33rd percentile) average precipitation and temperature for three-month seasons related to El Nino and La Nina. Only the dominant category is shown at a gridpoint.
- Percentiles are calculated relative to 1950-2022, the period of record for ENSO events.
- Dry mask (light purple) is applied when seasonal mean precipitation during 1950-2022 is less than 20 mm.
- Related PSL webpages
- Composite (by season) of variables related to ENSO
- Different variables by month for individual ENSO events, composite, and the standard deviatons of the events.
- FEWS NET
- The Famine Early Warning Systems Network (FEWS NET) is a leading provider of early warning and analysis on acute food insecurity around the world.
- FEWS NET draws heavily on agroclimatological analysis to monitor and construct scenarios of food security in the countries it covers. While food security depends on a complex variety of factors, climate and weather shocks often play a significant role in episodes of acute food insecurity.
- Physical Sciences Laboratory ENSO Publications
Any comments, suggestions or questions on this page are welcome and should be sent to email@example.com
This is a Research and Development Application